Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sleepless in Portland?

I have really started to miss working at the salon. There is as much drama behind the camera sometimes as there is in front of it! My boss left the show and now I have moved up to the department head position temporarily. They have been searching high and low to replace her and I hope they find a new person soon. This whole ordeal has slightly soured me. Although I generally love working on projects like this I am finding that I am constantly tired. I am staying about 45 minutes away from the location we shoot at the most and having such a long commute each way plus a turn a round time of 9 hours (that is the amount of time I get from when I leave work to when I have to arrive at work) leaves me less time then I need for sleep. I have begun to grow concerned about driving home and falling asleep at the wheel. This happened to a wonderful makeup artist friend of mine a few years back while working on a movie and she suffered a terrible car accident. When she was released from the hospital she realized that this was not the life she wanted and so returned to Seattle married her boyfriend and is now the happy mother of two boys. It makes me wonder how people do it. I think of the vast number of shows on television and I have to wonder how all of those people make the sacrifices to do the job. I left my home, my salon, my husband, my pets, my friends, my routine to come here and help make something entertaining to millions in exchange for "bragging rights" and of course money. So the question I am wrestling with is simply- is it worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment